Photobucket

Friday, March 20, 2009

Human mama

Found this baby bird just in time before Aargon came for it! It's siblings were all killed and the nest destroyed because the tree they were living in was chopped down by our neighbour. I do not feel confident that I can save it but I don't know what else to do, other than give it 24 hours of care and hope that a miracle would happen!

I tried to leave it were I found it for an hour or so, hoping mama birdie would come back but it never did! Poor little fellow. I'm guessing it's about 4 days old. Lois and I have been getting all the advice we can get. From dawn till dusk, we take turns caring for it. Feeding it using a syringe every 30 mins, checking if it's droppings are normal looking, making sure it's kept warm by using a heating pad we bought for winter.

Coping with this little one, in this already crazy week is super stretching! However, when I tap it's "nest" and it turns to me and gapes for food all my weiriness is replaced by joy of seeing it recognising me as it's caregiver now. What shall I name it?

5 comments:

Dani said...

How precious! Good for you for taking care of the little fella. I have two birds and I like them a lot. :) You'll have to wait on naming him until it "comes" to you... an important thing like a name can't be rushed!!! (wink) Blessings! ~Dani

amelia thinks said...

It almost sounds like you are taking care of a newborn! =)

Lydia said...

Dani,
Pls give me some advice on how to care for the baby bird! I think the name is coming to us... will let you know soon :)

Amelia,
It feels like I am haha! Except it's just palm size. I thought about you moms when I woke up every hr the past nights.

Chelsea said...

What a big task you have on your hands for something so tiny! Reminds me of when I fed a little chick just like that once...thankfully, after a few days it's strength returned and it regained its mobility.

Anonymous said...

"The little poor thing" came 2 my mind. But Mat 5:3,4,5 said "Blessed are the poor, those who mourn & the meek". This birdie seemed 2 ve all the above.So u may consider,"The blessed one or the precious one".He is bleassed 2 ve u 2 his rescue...Look East