Photobucket

Thursday, July 03, 2008

face to face

Do we compartmentalize the way we live? Home is home, church is church, and school is school. Is God and faith specifically just for our times of worship and place of worship and His people that we meet? Or that God is more welcome in some areas of your life than others. I don’t have a particular point I want to make here- more like to air whats on my heart, (writing helps clarify my thoughts) since this issue has been coming up with different friends I’ve talked with.

[A barren stage, with a single stool. On this stool sits ANNE, a lady in her early 20s, alone, wearing a plain featureless mask.]

ANNE: "I imagine you'd like to know why I'm wearing a mask. It's really quite simple: its better that way for both of us. I don't have to let you see more of me than is safe, and you don't have to know more about me than you feel comfortable with. As long as I wear this mask, you'll see what you want to. You'll accept me, and I can feel as though I belong."


Many of us grow up wearing masks everyday. Depending on the occasion, we throw one on to fit the need. Like we’re afraid to let people know the real us. At home, we throw on a mask of contentment so that mom and dad would think everything is okay. That their little girl/boy is doing just fine in this world. At school/work, we may throw on one that we’ve everything in control. At church, a mask of “I have this God stuff in my life together.” And a compromising situation, a mask that shows your girlfriends at school “I am just like you, this church stuff is just for Sundays.”

It has been said that the eyes are the windows to our souls. Unfortunately, with a mask on no one ever gets to see that beautiful soul. We often wear a mask for protection. But who are we really protecting ourselves from? The world or our own selves? When you look at your life and feel that you’re living a lie, when the mask begins to hurt you, then it’s time to take it off because the mask will fail you. All the mask will become prisons of guilt, resentment, self-centeredness and on and on. It may given cause one to lock God out. In addition, you lose your identity, you lose the core you.

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again, by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1

For us girls, one obvious act/thing I can think about would be our dressing. Does what we wear on Friday nights out with the girlfriends bring a whole different message from what we wear to church on Sunday mornings? Don’t know if you see the link there but I struggled with this at one particular point in my life. For guys, it could be your speech when you’re with your boys. How does our Abba Father feel seeing His dear child seeking the acceptance of mere man and not of Him, the Almighty one who loves us unconditionally?

“Always be yourself because the people who mind don’t matter
and that the people that matter, don’t mind.”

Hang up that mask.

Find peace in becoming the person you were created to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe wearing masks is all about coping, doing the EQ bit - how to behave 'appropriately' with whoever
you're with and dressing along with it. There's a saying somewhere
by one writer that goes along this line: "Why do I not tell you who I am (be transparent, not wear a mask?) Because maybe I will be rejected if you know who I really am." Only with God, you don't need to wear a mask, play the game.

Lydia said...

appreciate your thoughts :)... i believe many of us don't wanna get into this 'game' but we've to daily deny self, hence writing this post was also a reminder for me.

Anonymous said...

i think you've hit the nail on the head girly. We all have to present ourselves appropriately in different situations, but I don't think those are masks people wear. Neither do i think people who wear masks are those who's qualities are accentuated based on the situations they're in/people they're with. I think people who wear masks are those who compromise in order to gain acceptance from others. And for children of God, our saltiness and our light we are supposed to shed is often compromised. And what use is salt when it loses its saltiness?

just some thoughts :)

love loads,
michelleeee

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

thank you so much for the reminder to be sincere girls for Him- without any mask or literally, deception! I especially like how you drew the link to our tendency to dress differently for different "days" or friends we meet. Thanks so much!

marauder34 said...

Courtesy requires that when you quote another's original work, you provide citation. Usually on the web, we at least link to one another. I'm sure that you meant to link to the source of your opening quote and merely forgot to.

Thanks in advance for correcting your oversight, and posting a link to my dramatic monologue "Masks."