Photobucket

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Me and China

The idea of traveling to China by land was an appealing adventure at first but since going through it, it's something I'd never dream of doing again. Come to think of it, it was just crazy! The buses were terrible, inclusive of hell drivers. We spent hours on windy dirt roads, right beside a closed down superhighway. I am convinced that having gone through this, I can take any travel conditions! Not without puking though. Here are a few highlights or things I've learnt about China...

1. Looks like pork isn't it? This is... dog meat! I didn't feel right the whole meal. Obviously I didn't eat it. Thinking about the poor little doggie being chopped up made me sick. Dogs are meant to be pets. Not food!

2. Eating stinky 'chow-tofu' wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. This dish is 10x worst!



3. I overcame my fear of flying fox! Since my injury, I never thought I'd go near it again but after much persuation, I was harnessed and hooked up to cables. Couldn't believe I was gliding from tree to tree high up off the ground, like some jungle child.

4. Trust me, this is the best public toilet I went to that is why I managed to take a shot. The first time I went to a public toilet was at the bus station, I had the shock of my life. One just needs to follow the smell to locate it. As you can see, there are no doors and the partitions are so low! The toilet normally consist of just a channel where you do your need. No flushing, not even a bucket of water and I can confirm with you that they don't bother to clear it out even when it's overflowing.

How I learnt to cope... (a) Take a long/deep breathe (b) Dash into the toilet (c) Hold your breathe and head high- don't ever look down! (d) Be done with it as quick as you can (e) Dash out and gasp lots of fresh air (f) all within 40 seconds

5. Found out that spitting is a national sport. They spit very loudly! Think about stepping into a bus with about 30 people, who suddenly feel the desire of hocking up all their stuff and spitting on the floor at the same time. ewww!

6. A little something about myself... I realised that people watching is kind of fascinating. Watching what people are doing and getting a glimpse into their lives. Love experiencing different cultures.

7. There is no such thing as a queue. People always push in line! No first come first serve policy. More like the bigger you are, the better chances you have. So you can imagine me...


And when He had given thanks, he broke it and said "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 1 Cor 11:24

8. The most memorable times I had were spent at church. It's just a whole different atmosphere. The Christians there have definately demonstrated to me the power of living faith. Sunday's service lasted for over 3 hours. Over 600 people crammed into the hall, regularly crying "Amen!" as the minister spoke.

No comments: