Photobucket

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Unchanging promises

In my devotional time this morning, I looked into Our Daily Bread, "A hill too high". As I read and re-read the account of Moses leading the people out of Egypt, I stopped to ponder what it would be like to go to bed without any food left in the fridge, but that the next day somehow the supplies would be fully replenished!


God did not provide for a week nor a month but only for one day at a time (Ex 16:4). Every day He gave them what they needed for the day, and asked them to trust that He would do the same tomorrow. Never did He let them down and never did He give them cause to doubt His providence.

Later this evening, as I was preparing for Baan-nana's lesson for tomorrow, God again used a simply Bible story I knew since I was a little girl to penetrate my heart. (1 Kings 17:1-15) One day at a time, God provided for Elijah and the widow.

Elijah and the widow couldn’t see where the oil was going to come from. They just had to trust that each day somehow there would be enough. They didn’t put their trust in what they could see - that would be easy! Instead they learned to put their trust in what they couldn’t see. They didn’t say, “Everything will be okay because, look! we have lots of oil and bread!” Instead they learned to say, “Everything will be okay - because God will take care of us!”

"Life can be like that. If we peer too far ahead of today, the challenges may feel like a Mt. Everest climb. They can appear impossible to handle if we think we have to be "ready for the hill." -ODB

I wish these days would happen to me more. Tonight as I peer into the clear sky with a full moon glowing above I feel Him near. He cares. Really. Such simple truths, but when I really believe them it transforms me deep inside. I know more than anything that if God wants me to climb this mountain, He's gonna give me strength for each step. And even when it feels like I can't go on, He's gonna carry me on His shoulders...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just secretly say that reading your posts have been some of the most encouraging points of my life? Haha, betcha didn't expect that, but really... I thank God for such a wise sister whose writings mean so much to me! Esp at this 'kadult'(kid+adult) stage where everything seems so unfamiliar. Praise the Lord for blessing you with insight and GOOD ENGLISH!