Photobucket

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A chance to live

On this night, I was THIS close to death. I had to screech to a stop in the middle of the main street. As i said "God help me!" I could feel the car past me as my heart stopped. My world just stood still for a spilt second. You know you car drivers should always check that your headlights are on when you’re driving at night! Especially on the roads of Mae Sai where streets lights are just dim.Alright but it was my fault too. My night vision is just lousy. Character to develop this month: cautiousness! Or you know what! I think I should just stay with cycling my trusty bicycle.

This incident shook me but it allowed me to remember the words of Charles Spurgeon. He said “Men have been helped to live by remembering that they must die.” Just assuming that the average person dies at 70. If you are 20, you have 2,500 weekends to live. If you are 30, you have 2,000 weekends left and if you’re 60, you have a mere 500 weekends left until the day death comes! One can better relate to “weekends” while “years” puts death into the distance.

Watched the movie called The Scarlet Pimpernel? During the height of the French revolution, aristocrats were executed by guillotine. The guillotine was surrounded by old hags, who shrieked for joy as each head rolled into the basket.

Seriously, it must have been horrific to be waiting the death row. But I realized that this is the plight of every human being. All humanity has a large holding cell, with bright lighting, good ventilation and a big blue roof. We can travel around this great world and enjoy its pleasures, but we are still in a holding cell, waiting for the moment when the great chopper of death falls upon us. Ten out of ten die.

Am I ready to face God on judgment day? Am I doing what I ought to do for Him? I don’t want to just waste this life away. Got to treat every day as though it were my last- one day I will be right.

No comments: